Christmas is Coming…Celebrate the Season November 11 2014, 1 Comment
Christmas ranks as the #1 holiday in our household. Unfortunately, with only a few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, there’s just not enough time to fit in all the activities we want to do to Celebrate the Season. Here is a short list of Christmas Traditions my family has established as our “must do” Christmas activities year after year.
- Deck the Halls while under a turkey coma. The long weekend after Thanksgiving is the perfect time to trim your tree. After you are finished hanging the greens, pick a favorite Christmas movie to watch while enjoying popcorn and hot cocoa.
- Make a special handmade ornament each year. There is no shortage of handmade ornament tutorials floating around the internet. Pick one and spend a little “quality time” together. Don’t forget to write the date on the back of the ornament before placing it on the tree. You will enjoy hanging those ornaments on the tree year after year and the memories that are made along with them.
- Ring the Bell! You know that one that comes with the red bucket?! One of my favorite memories from college is when I shared this with one of my best friends. It was a bitter cold day and we huddled together ringing the Christmas Bell and singing Christmas Carols. What a wonderful way to spend some time together and give back to the community!
- A Gift of Comfort. Our children are allowed to open one present on Christmas Eve…a pair of new pajamas. Even though the kids know exactly what awaits them as they tear open the wrapping, their anticipation and excitement is simply put, infectious! A few weeks prior to Christmas we take the children to a store and allow them to pick out pajamas, not for themselves, but jammies to donate to children in need.
- Sweet Treat. Jesus is the reason for the season. Why not celebrate his birthday with a cake and candles? Bake a cake, light the candles and sing the song! Now that is what I call a great way to end a memorable Christmas Holiday!